
The University of Economics – Varna is the oldest higher education institution in the city, occupying a building with a history spanning over one hundred years. It is one of the five accredited universities in Varna, comprising faculties in economics, informatics, management, and other disciplines. The University is located at 77 Knyaz Boris I Boulevard, in close proximity to the central area of the Sea Garden.
Historical Reference
The history of Varna’s first university began more than one hundred years ago. In the period following Bulgaria’s Liberation up to the Wars for National Unification—a period that coincides with the European concept of the “Belle Époque”—Varna experienced significant economic growth and emerged as one of the leading commercial centres of the country.
In 1911, the leadership of the Varna Chamber of Commerce and Industry decided to allocate funds for the construction of a Higher Commercial School. The Municipality of Varna supported the initiative. Tender documentation was prepared for a competition, in which architects submitted their architectural designs. The concept of the building was approved based on the design of the eminent Bulgarian architect Nikola Lazarov (1870–1942). The project envisaged the construction of a three-storey building. Architect Dabko Dabkov was appointed as the technical supervisor.
Due to the wars that broke out between 1912 and 1918, construction was delayed. By 1914, the building had been erected up to the second storey. A revision of Nikola Lazarov’s original design was carried out by architect Dabko Dabkov. The third storey was completed only in 1920 and is also attributed to architect Dabko Dabkov.
Architecture
The building has a U-shaped plan, with its central façade oriented eastwards towards the Sea Garden and the sea. The façades are richly decorated with details that represent a well-balanced eclectic combination of Renaissance and Baroque art, filtered through the lens of Art Nouveau (Secession). The main entrance on the central façade is articulated in three parts. The elaborate plastic ornamentation symbolically reflects the functional purpose of the building.
The attic above the central entrance is crowned with a monumental pyramidal sculptural composition. The allegorical group consists of two figures: the god of commerce Mercury (on the right) and an allegory of Science (on the left), seated on either side of a large terrestrial sphere. In this way, the building achieves a symbolic and aesthetic completion.
Institutional Establishment and Early Development
The management of the school was entrusted to the Supreme School Council. Academic classes commenced in the autumn of 1921. The opening ceremony was held in Assembly Hall 101 and was blessed by the Metropolitan of Varna and Preslav, Simeon. A greeting was also delivered personally by King Boris III. The event was attended by members of the Chamber of Commerce, bankers, merchants, and industrialists.
The first rector of the Higher Commercial School was Professor Tsani Kalyandzhiev, the main advocate for its establishment. Until 1925, the Higher Commercial School operated on a two-year course of study, following the practice of most European higher economic institutions of the time. From the academic year 1925/26 to 1936/37, the institution operated a three-year course of study. From 1937/38 onward, the course was extended to four years.
Institutional Evolution
During its 90-year history, Varna’s Alma Mater has undergone several name changes. Until 1938, it was known as the Higher Commercial School (also referred to as the Commercial Academy). From 1938 to 1945, it operated as the Higher School of Economic and Social Sciences, and from 1945 to 1953 as the Varna State University “St. Cyril Slavyanobulgarian”. Between 1953 and 1963, it functioned as the Higher Institute of National Economy, which from 1963 to 1990 bore the name of Dimitar Blagoev. In 1990, by decision of the General Assembly, the institution was officially designated as the University of Economics – Varna.